Carol Van Metre contributed in a big way: She was involved in fundraising for more than $35 million in sports-related projects, most aimed at giving inner-city kids a stronger foothold on the field and in life. She was a champion of the children and families of the Omaha Public Schools and neighboring communities.
In honor of Carol’s contributions, a Scholarship Fund has been created in her honor. Donations can be made online through the Omaha Schools Foundation secure payment gateway. Please designate “The Carol Van Metre Scholarship” when donating.
Carol Van Metre Scholarship Fund
Purpose: To provide financial assistance to a student seeking post-secondary education in the memory of Mrs. Carol Van Metre, a strong advocate for quality education and supporter of Omaha South High School. Carol and her husband Dave have worked tirelessly over the years to level the playing field for OPS students with their suburban counterparts, ensuring the highest quality facilities and enrichment east of 72nd Street. Carol was a beloved teacher in the Denver Public Schools for many years and it was always an important part of her life to support education.
Eligible School: Omaha South High School
- Recipient must demonstrate financial need;
- Recipient must have shown good citizenship and participated in extra- curricular activities throughout high school;
- Preference will be given to students pursuing a career in Education;
- Recipient must intend to pursue a 4-year post-secondary education at an accredited institution; and
- Student should present two letters of recommendation from faculty (no relatives of the student will be accepted).
Selection will be made by the South High School Principal and the school’s scholarship committee, with input from the counseling department. Amount will be payable to the college or university upon the Omaha Schools Foundation’s receipt of verification of enrollment from the institution chosen by the recipient. A “Thank You” note to the donor is required and can also be sent to the Foundation.
Administered By: Omaha Public Schools Foundation