Crystal Simpson, principal at Dodge Elementary School in Omaha, cared deeply about children, those who knew her said. “Crystal was extremely passionate about serving students,” said Lisa Utterback, executive director who oversees principals at Omaha Public Schools.
Simpson became the principal at Dodge, near 97th and Maple Streets, in 2012 and had been employed by the district since 2000. She had previously been the assistant principal at Standing Bear Elementary.
Simpson especially enjoyed introducing students to math, science and engineering, K.T. Simpson said.
“She was always positive and full of life,” Utterback said. “Crystal loved rocking her fresh Nike tennis shoes with a sharp suit,” was known to work late nights and helped Dodge Elementary earn recognition as a Gold Award Winning School last year, Utterback said.
The Crystal Simpson Memorial Scholarship Fund has been established in Crystal’s name.
To provide financial assistance to a graduating Omaha Public Schools student in memory of Dodge Elementary School Principal Crystal Simpson who suddenly passed away in 2016. Mrs. Simpson was principal of Dodge Elementary from 2012-2016 and is fondly remember as a passionate and caring educator who loved all of her students. She created a positive climate where all who were around her knew they were valued and respected. Mrs. Simpson was a graduate of Omaha Burke High School and a proud OPS alum. Her legacy lives on!
All OPS High Schools
- Student must have attended Dodge Elementary for a minimum of three years.
- Student must demonstrate leadership qualities, be a self-motivator, and show they have participated in community service activities by submitting a one-page essay on why they are applying for the scholarship and what they plan to study in college.
- Student must submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher or school administrator.
- Student must show commitment to post-secondary education.
- Student must submit a high school transcript.
Recipient will be chosen by the family of Mrs. Simpson.The award will be forwarded to the recipient’s college of choice upon receipt of proof of enrollment and a “Thank You” note directed to the donor.
Omaha Public Schools Foundation